Clara went with our family to the Manti "Mormon Miracle" pageant. We drove for two hours and then got dinner at a burgers, shakes, and doughnuts place. Then we gathered our blankets and sweaters and went to find a place to sit amidst the thousands of chairs underneath the Manti temple. Clara had been there before and knew what it was about. She told us a little bit about it as we waited for hours on the folding chairs for it to start.
The pageant was not what I expected. My mom kept calling it the pioneer pageant and I guess it was. But I had assumed that this would be pretty much a reenactment of the pioneers crossing the plains. It wasn't. It was all about how the "Mormons" came about. The First Vision was played out, along with the translating of the Book of Mormon; some of the events in the book; a bit about the pioneers and how a wife of a pioneer died; something about Brigham Young having to decide whether to gather men from the groups of pioneers to fight in a war for the US; and then how the Indians attacked one of the groups of pioneers and the husband of the wife that died earlier got shot and then met his wife in the spirit world. And that was the end.
For others, it must have been a really neat experience. For me, it was like, "Wait. What? That was the end? What about crossing the plains? And the handcart companies!" I was a little confused. But it was still fun, especially with Clara, although she might not have had as much fun as I did, since I fell asleep on the way home. I still don't know if she managed to do that. Sorry Clara! We dropped her off at 2am and when we got to our house, we unloaded in a flash and then we all crashed.
Hoping Iris enjoyed this post she requested,
Princess Amory
No comments:
Post a Comment